Tuesday, June 26, 2018

June: Alzheimer's Awareness Month



So it may be a weird picture to start out my blog post, but these are my Daddy's slippers and I love them. I love wearing them. They are soft and comfortable and furry and most importantly, wearing these slippers reminds me of him and makes me feel physically closer to him. Whenever I am shuffling about the house wearing the slippers, as they are a smidge too big for me, I am reminded of Wally. Therefore, these L.L.Bean slippers are priceless to me. I pray they never wear out.

I heard on the radio today that June is Alzheimer's Awareness month and I feel kind of cheated finding out now. So I apologize for being late to the game to tell you!

The Alzheimer's Awareness website has a plethora of information and resources and I encourage you to explore the site if you are seeking more information.

https://www.alz.org/

That's all I really have for today. Check out the site. Wear Purple to promote Alzheimer's Awareness. My one caretakers tip of the day, which I need to remember for myself, is that when Alzheimer's steals your loved ones memories and everything is brand new to them, whether it's a favorite food or a favorite person, please be kind and patient. I promise your loved one isn't trying to be a jerk or aggravate you. This is just their new world. You can either choose to join them in their new world or you can sit on the sidelines being pissed. And I feel you because there are days I do both.

No comments:

Post a Comment