Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Girl Scout Law - Friendly and Helpful



Last week I posted about how I reviewed the Girl Scout Law Honest and Fair with my Daisy Girl Scouts. This week I will share the books and activities we used to learn about the Friendly and Helpful petal.

My strategy to teach the girls the different lines of the Law is to read a picture book and complete an activity. I believe a petal can be earned in one meeting.


For Friendly and Helpful, I read "The Recess Queen" one year and "The Friendship Wish" the next. "Each Kindness" and "The Little Red Elf" are also great books as well. 

Some petals I can find so many amazing books that correlate with the the lesson and then other petals are a struggle. I am confident there are many more books that work nicely to teach "Friendly and Helpful". 

The activity I did to teach Friendly and Helpful was to create pictures using their hand print to leave behind after completing a chore saying "A Daisy was here".  You can also create a coupon book full of age-appropriate chores they can give to a family member.

A great field trip idea to reinforce Friendly and Helpful would be to go to a Senior Center. Interacting with the Seniors would be a great way to practice being Friendly and Helpful. Same opportunity with an animal shelter. Coloring cards for colorasmile is being Friendly and Helpful as well. 

https://colorasmileorg.presencehost.net/

Explaining Friendly and Helpful with the girls is much easier than some of the parts of the Law, such as Honest and Fair. Unless the girls live in a bubble, they can provide their own examples of Friendly and helpful as they have learned those lessons and learning them on a daily basis in school. 

As a Daisy Girl Scout Leader, I was petrified. I didn't know what to do and I was so overwhelmed. One of the Girl Scout lines of the Law is "Use your resources wisely", well I say Pinterest is a great resource! No need to reinvent the wheel. At the end of the meeting, do the girls understand what "Friendly and Helpful" means and can they give you an example? Great! Petal earned!



   




To get the wiggles out, I'd play a song on my phone for the girls to jam out to! As Daisy's they LOVED to dance and did so with such abandon and enthusiasm! Now that they are older, they are much too "dignified" to do so.



Coloring sheets are your friend! They are a great pre-meeting activity or an activity to do while you are setting up for the next activity! Pinterest will provide you with countless options!



No comments:

Post a Comment