Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Girl Scout law - Be a Sister to Every Girl Scout

Previously, I've discussed what I have done as a Girl Scout Leader to teach my Daisy's the Girl Scout Promise, and nine pieces of the Girl Scout Law: Honest and Fair, Friendly and Helpful, Considerate and Caring, Courageous and Strong, Responsible for what I Say and Do, Respect Authority, Use Resources Wisely, and Make the World a Better Place.

This week, I will share what I have done for Be a Sister to Every Girl Scout petal. Our last petal!!


I like to present the petals in the order of the Girl Scout Law but you certainly do not have to do so. Some troop leaders like to be willy-nilly and fly by the seat of their pants, but that is just not the way I roll. I am a planner. I plan my meetings months in advance. So by the time I have gotten to this petal, whether as part of the school year or as a Daisy Day, the girls are super duper familiar with each other. The pretense of being polite has gone out of the window. They are acting like real life sisters which means they are getting on each other's nerves. Naturally not everyone gets along and are BFF's, but we do want to cultivate an environment in which the girls are following the Girl Scout Law and treating each other with respect, being caring and considerate, etc. 

The last two years on Valentine's Day we have a Secret Sister Gift Exchange. The girls bring in less than $5 gifts to exchange with their secret sister. 



In previous year I had the girls essentially write "love notes" to each sister to put in their scrapbooks. For example, I typed up "I like ...Because", "I think ....is special because", and "My wish for ... is". 

This year we created a love tube which was a decorated paper towel or TP roll and inside were strips of paper from each of the girls with a kind message. Again, the idea was for these papers to be added to their scrapbooks.

I found this lovely idea on the internets.  https://www.hometalk.com/10752856/tubes-of-love

Celebrating Girl Scout's Birthday with a party and donating a Birthday in a Bag to a local homeless shelter is a great way to teach How to be a Sister to Every Girl Scout.

Tying in World Thinking Day by learning about the other Girl Scouts and Girl Guides around the world is a way to earn the petal. 

The Stand Beside Her patch program includes activities which are perfect for this petal! http://www.standbesideher.org/  

It took a little digging to find the activity booklet on the site, so I have enclosed it here.

 http://nebula.wsimg.com/cdf47cd6b6669f7bd34b26477ad6329d?AccessKeyId=71C057CB9EFE582B077D&disposition=0&alloworigin=1 


Here is my favorite book character Molly Lou Mellon to help illustrate how to be a Sister to Every Girl Scout! "Enemy Pie" is pretty stinky effective too!




So here we are at the end of the Daisy petals! As I have said all along, if the girls can give you age appropriate examples of the different pieces of the Girl Scout Law, I say "SUCCESS"! The Girl Scout Law is repeated time and time again and it is inevitable the girls will learn the Law and what it all means.  Actually I was thinking about what I wanted for my two daughters, what attributes I wanted them to possess, and truly every aspect of the Girl Scout Law is exactly what I want for my girls. Girl Scouts that follow the Girl Scout Law are truly thoughtful, kind, courageous, caring, loving, respectful, powerful souls!

If you are looking for a way to wrap up the Girl Scout Law, you could assign each girl a piece and have them present it to the troop! We did so two years with varying success in regards to participation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment