Saturday, September 29, 2018

Girl Scout Junior Agent of Change Journey in a Day and Bronze Award Workshop

My multi-level group consists of Daisy through Cadette so I broke off 7 of my 4th and 5th graders to work on completing the Bronze Award, which is the highest Girl Scout award Juniors can earn.

Thankfully there is copious amounts of information available to guide me! Whomever the instructional design team is at River Valleys council, I bow to them as they are amazing rock stars! I continuously love to use their curriculum for badges and journey's!

This link provides you information about the Bronze award requirements. The Bronze Award kit is a great introduction of the Bronze Award to the girls. It was incredible information for me as I finally understand the difference between community service and a take action project. The activities in the packets are fun and engaging. An older group of Girl Scouts could definitely host a Bronze award  workshop event as a fundraising for younger girls. 


We had a meeting two weeks ago to introduction the Bronze Award and determine which journey we wanted to complete as its a pre-requisite to starting the award. We completed the mad lips game, power of me game to differentiate between talent and characteristic and interest and passion, and the service vs take action project. This activity was eye-opening for me as a leader! The girls worked on the word find while we waited for everyone to arrive. We accomplished these three activities plus some "get out your wiggles" during our 2 hour meeting.

The information packet from Girl Scouts of Northern California is quite informative about the Bronze Award.


Information and guidelines from my local council, Central Texas, about the Bronze Award.


Packet I provided to the girls to review with their families as to the requirements of the bronze award.



The girls requested we work on the Outdoor Journey and thankfully, we do have a Service Unit Camping trip coming up, but my co-leader and I felt the Agent of Change Journey would be the most appropriate to prepare the girls for the Bronze Award. The Agent of Change teaches about the Power of You, Power of Team, and Power of Community. Again, the River Valleys Council is AMAZING! I used the below curriculum for the journey in a day with great success! We started at 9AM and finished at 2PM. I included 3 "get the wiggles out" exercise breaks, a morning snack, lunch (pizza), and ending with the last activity from the Bronze Award kit which was the Bronze Award Sundae. 


 Power of You





Power of Team - What community service can we accomplish as a team



The curriculum even included a example of a Take Action project which is to educate and inspire people to donate items from a local animal shelter's wish list. 
Journey completed!

The next step for our little group will be to attend the Veteran's Day parade which will help build awareness of our community.  

No comments:

Post a Comment