Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Girl Scout Law - Make the World a Better Place

Previously, I've discussed what I have done as a Girl Scout Leader to teach my Daisy's the Girl Scout Promise, and eight pieces of the Girl Scout Law: Honest and Fair, Friendly and Helpful, Considerate and Caring, Courageous and Strong, Responsible for what I say and Do, Respect Authority, and Use Resources Wisely.

This week, I will share what I have done for Make a World a Better Place petal. This petal is very similar, yet different, to the "Use Resources Wisely" petal. 


There are countless acts of kindness that your troop could do to earn Make the World a Better Place petal. Two my troop has done is make a bird feeder using a toilet roll, peanut butter, and bird seed and pick up trash in a local park. 







Another great act of kindness would be to make cards for kids in hospitals. http://www.cardsforhospitalizedkids.com/ We have done that and received a thank you note. 

Color a Smile is also a wonderful act of kindness. https://colorasmileorg.presencehost.net/   

We like to make a birthday in a bag for our local homeless shelter to celebrate Juliette Gordon Low's Birthday in October.  






Surprisingly the only book that I have found for this petal, and I don't really love it for this age group, is the The Great Kapok Tree. I would LOVE to hear what books you have used.




As with all the petals, can the girl can you an appropriate example of what does it mean to "Make the World a Better Place"? If yes, than she has earned the petal.

1 comment:

  1. https://smile.amazon.com/Kind-Rodale-Curious-Readers-Level/dp/1623368782/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1CBXDB8HFCHO0&keywords=i+am+kind&qid=1553225004&s=books&sprefix=i+am+kind%2Caps%2C186&sr=1-2

    I Am Kind by Suzy Capozzi is a great Girl Scout book! The girl talks about being kind, helping others, making new friends, and then her troop goes on a hike and she mentions taking care of the earth, then she and her new friend make their own Take Action project.

    We are going to read it for our petal and I am adding your idea about the Color a Smile pages.

    ReplyDelete