Sunday, April 29, 2018

Sunday Funday - USS Lexington


The Phelan Phamily was able to spend the night at the USS Lexington in Corpus Christi thanks to a kind local Cub Scout troop! I had attempted to schedule an overnight field trip with my Girl Scout troop this past fall but was unsuccessful so we jumped at this opportunity and it did not disappoint!

We left Saturday morning around 9AM for the 3.5 hours drive. Of course we stopped at Buc-ee's in New Braunfels to fuel up! We arrived early to Corpus Christi which enabled us some time at the beach! The girls are such water babies and loved being able to play in the water even it is was for a short amount of time!

The USS Lexington definitely is a well-oiled machine and clearly they have done these overnight field trips before as they were more than prepared for the groups that arrived Saturday. We were able to watch the 3D movie before dinner and I must say my expectations for dinner were blown out of the water. I knew it was a cheeseburger but it was a good cheeseburger! Surprise! After dinner we participated in a Patriotism ceremony which was informative and interesting! I totally got choked up when they sang the Army fight song as I could hear my Dad singing right along! Afterwards, our host offered us a scavenger hunt for two levels, below 11 years old and above 11 years old. We elected to hit up the snack bar and load up on sweets and then enjoy the game lounge. It was way past our bed-time, so we decided not to participate in the Ghost Stories portion of the tour.

I had never been on a Naval ship, old or new, and was thankful Caroline has a good sense of direction or I'd still be lost trying to find my way out! The sleeping quarters were...snug. I have a whole new level of appreciation for the men and women (the USS Lexington was the first ship to allow Naval women on board) who served and lived on this ship.

The experience was incredible, especially for the price ($55 a person). I have heard from several adults who participated in this overnight field trip as children and have fond memories. I am confident our girls will have the same fond memories to share with their children. No doubt I will remember this Phelan Phamily Adventure for many years!

https://usslexington.com/







1 comment: