Thursday, April 5, 2018

Bastrop State Park - Our first girls only camping trip!

The girls and I ventured to Bastrop State Park for our first girls only camping week for Spring Break!

https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/bastrop

I booked the cabin a few months in advance as I wasn't comfortable tent camping with just us girls. The downside to cabin camping was that we couldn't bring a dog.  Humph. The cabin was quite affordable at $110 a night. We stayed 2 nights. Check in was at 3PM and check out was 11AM.



We are in Bastrop once a month as my girls attend a monthly wilderness camp with Earth Native Wilderness School ( https://www.earthnativeschool.com/summer-camps ). More on them on another post. While the girls are at wilderness camp, I stay in Bastrop and meander around and always saw the signs for the park but didn't venture off to find it.  I was surprised how close the state park is off Highway 71 as it is right behind Buc-ee's (Yea for Buc-ee's!!).


We pulled into the state park and of course the park rangers were super kind (side note, my career assessment from my Junior year of High School said I should be a park ranger! I sure wish I had listened as I could have avoided decades sitting behind a computer!). We got our keys and made our way to the cabin. The park itself is beautiful and a bit small, but what was most noticeable was the devastation from the fire from 2011. Ouch. It hurt my tree-loving heart to see the trees in this shape.



The cabin was amazing! Truly spectacular! The cabin had two double beds and a single bed, so it could comfortably sleep five people. There were two bedrooms (one with a double bed and one with a single bed). We slept in the double bed that was in the main room and drug out the other double bed for a girl to sleep on the floor. There was a large picnic table made out of solid wood and two fire places (one working), a kitchen with a dorm size refrigerator, microwave, sink, and stove top, but no oven. Most importantly, the cabin had a flushing toilet and shower - HOORAH!!!


The cabin also included a firepit which the girls immediately used to start fire. Part of their training as Girl Scouts and the wilderness school is with fire, so they got a lot more practice during this trip.



Day one was met with fire fun, playing in the dirt, and relaxing. Day 2 we went fishing, played at the playground, and took a 3+ mile hike. Day 3 we leisurely packed up and drove home.


Bastrop State Park and our first time camping was a huge success! I appreciated being only an hour away from home and saving money by bringing food from home. I didn't love being able to hear the traffic from the highway and the state of some the trees was painful. One lesson to remember is to bring scissors and flashlights! Other than that, the girls thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and look forward to another camping trip!






No comments:

Post a Comment