Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Girl Scout Law - Use Resources Wisely

Previously, I've discussed what I have done as a Girl Scout Leader to teach my Daisy's the Girl Scout Promise, and seven pieces of the Girl Scout Law: Honest and Fair, Friendly and Helpful, Considerate and Caring, Courageous and Strong, Responsible for what I say and Do, and Respect Authority. 

This week, I will share what I have done for Use Resources Wisely. I must say, this is not the easiest petal to earn so I would love to hear what has worked for you! This petal is very similar, yet different, to the "Make the World a Better Place" petal. 




Our first year as a Daisy troop, we decorated water bottles for the craft activity for this petal. For previous Daisy Day's, we went around and each girl gave an example of using resources wisely such as turning off the water when you brush your teeth or taking shorter showers. As always Pinterest is your friend when it comes to ideas for this petal and others. 

A great field trip would be to go to a recycling center. 

Uses Resources Wisely is a nice compliment to the Brownie Household Elf so if you have a multi-level troop, that might work. For the Household Elf we created some environmental friendly cleaning products. 

I haven't found too many books that work super well with the Use Resources Wisely petal. I have read "Here Comes the Garage Barge" several times and it is quite powerful for children and adults.

The Garbage Barge book actually could apply nicely to the No Straw November patch program! https://www.jroceanguardians.org/no-straw-november The troop purchased the girls reusable plastic straws and challenged them to not use any disposable straws! It is not an easy task!




No comments:

Post a Comment