Wednesday, September 26, 2018

First Girl Scout Meeting of the Year

Oh happy days! Girl Scouts has begun again!! This is my 5th year as a leader and it truly is one of my favorite  roles in my life!

As with most Girl Scout troops, we've had girls come and go for a variety of reasons. Our troop currently is 18 strong from kindergarten to 6th grade.

We started our meeting off with the Girl Scout Promise and Law. I've added the Girl Scout Troop 2574 pledge which I borrowed from my girls school which is, " I Will do my best to treat everyone fairly. I promise to do my best to be kind to everyone, even if they are not like me. If I see someone being hurt or bullied, I will report it to an adult. Everyone should be able to feel happy and safe with our troop 2574."  I also add this amazing quote from Bryan Skavnak this year.



We then got up and did the Juliette Gordon Low game!

THE JULIETTE LOW STORY
(Divide the group into eight group; these will be Juliette Low, Georgia, Horses, London, Lord Baden-Powell, Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts)
Sound Effects- (when they hear their names they stand up and make their sound. It's even cuter when they have to do an action as well)
        Little Girls -                     Stand and giggle
        Juliette Low -                  Curtsy and say, "Be my friend"
        Georgia-                          Wave and say, "Hi, y'all!"
        Horses-                           Stamp your feet and say, "Neighhhhhhh."
        Lord Baden-Powell-        Bow formally and say, "How d'ya do?"
        London-                          Sing, "London Bridge is Falling Down"
        Boy Scouts-                    Make Scout sign and say "Be prepared."
        Girl Scouts-                     Make Scout sign and say “On My Honor”

Read the story-
Once upon a time there was a little girl named Juliette Low who lived in Georgia and loved to ride horses. After she grew up she went to London where she met Lord Baden-Powell who founded the Boy Scouts. She was fascinated by the work he was doing. She studied with him awhile and decided to found a troop of Girl Scouts for the little girls who liked to ride horses in Georgia. So Juliette Low said good-bye to the Boy Scouts in London and came home with the ideas that Lord Baden-Powell gave her. She formed a group of little girls, who liked to ride horses and be together, into a troop of Girl Scouts. And they loved it so much that the idea spread and now there are Girl Scout troops all over the world. Aren't we glad that a little girl named Juliette Low, from Georgia who liked horses went to London and met Lord Baden-Powell, the founder of the Boy Scouts, and came to start the wonderful world of Girl Scouts!

http://cranfordgirlscouts.com/Forms/do-you-know-juliette-low.pdf

https://www.gswcf.org/content/dam/wcf-images/pdf-forms/Newsletters/JLow-BirthdaySampler.pdf

I then took a few minutes to discuss troop behavior expectations. I explained how I only had them for 60 minutes every week and I want to spend that time having fun. Through the help of troop leaders in my service unit, I borrowed a troop behavior contract that I shared with the girls and parents. I asked the girls to review the contract, which includes consequences, with their parents and bring it back signed. All of the girls understand basic classroom etiquette. I am happy to share this document via email.

I then read "Here Comes the Girl Scouts" about JGL, which I read every year, because its AWESOME!!



I wrapped up a few minutes early so I could get pictures of the girls with their parent as it's tradition for me to do so. The last meeting of every year is a scrapbook party and you can imagine how awesome it is to see the physical changes of the girls throughout the years!

Here we are!



No comments:

Post a Comment