Thursday, October 25, 2018

Girl Scouts Meeting -Games and Learning about Juliette Gordon Low

As a Girl Scout Leader to 20 girls ranging from kindergarten to 6th grade, planning and preparing for a meeting can be a bit daunting. When said meeting is at 645PM and the girls have varying degrees of tiredness and hunger, it can be even more daunting. Not to include my own tiredness of the day. 

Grace provided some excellent feedback that we needed to get up and move more. In fact, she was the one who planted the seed that the girls were likely to be hungry and tired. Such a wise 10 year old she is. 

At this week's troop meeting, we did a lot of movement. For one reason or another about half the trop didn't attend so we had a more intimate group. There is definitely pros and cons to the varying troop sizes. 

After the Promise, Law, Pledge, and newest addition of  the "be the nice kid", we played the Gratitude Alphabet Game. I found this game from Big Life Journal.com They have amazing printables. This game was from "Learning through Movement Activities". Essentially you name something with the letter A that you are grateful for and then roll a ball to the next person to say something they are grateful for using the letter B. So on and so forth. I was concerned my older girls were going to be bored but they seemed to enjoy themselves.

Caroline thinking of a grateful word. 



Grace is enjoying herself with the Gratitude Alphabet Game


And again!


We then played a game that was called Crazy Chairs that I got from “Getting to Know You” Games, Page 4. I'll definitely be pulling more games from this document. Also, I'll be playing this game again. The girls were unsure at first on sitting on each others laps but the laughter was AWESOME!!


Caroline was being silly sharing her seat with other sisters!



We then played the "Help your Brain Grown by Taking a Break" also from Big Life Journal printables. We'll be doing this one again as well.



We reviewed Manners as I feel this is very important to do every meeting. I did this worksheet verbally with the girls.

Our strong and courageous woman was Juliette Gordon Low and we Played the JGL Kim's Game (referenced in previous posts). I printed out the different items to show the girls as I didn't have a lot of them on hand. I told them next week we'll be celebrating JGL's birthday and they'll be going trick or treating with the parents. The girls have to correctly answer JGL questions to receive a treat!

There are some meetings when I really struggle accommodating all of the girls. It's a challenge not to repeat activities but still cover the same badges and patches. Thankfully there is a plethora of ideas available on the internets. I felt like this meeting I knocked it out of the park!





No comments:

Post a Comment